Students who want to be there…the joys and the terror!!
So, as Tarot Teachers, we have students who want to be there in our class. How cool is that! There’s an adult learning theory model that says we need to be as aware of their learning needs and make our classroom compatable with their needs and desires.
Through their life’s journey, adult students are less likely to accept information at face value and more likely to think critically about it. Not all, but many!
- They will ask questions
- They will evaluate your statements and make counter-arguments
- They will be able to admit that they don’t know something and ask for clarification.
- Adult students are interested, willing to examine beliefs and underlying assumptions.
- They will listen and give feedback–there lies terror and joy!
- They look for evidence, will check your facts
- They will adjust their opinion
- They will examine and reject information if they find it is incorrect or irrelevant
The joy of this process is that you don’t have to convince the Tarot student that they need to learn the topic. They want to be there and they are most likely ready to learn. You don’t really have to convince them the topic is important or interesting.